Can My Dental Implants Get Cavities? And Other Common Questions….
In my practice, I hear dozens of questions every day about dental implants from concerned (or simply curious) patients. Every one of those questions is a good question and I always try to provide an equally good answer. To help you better understand an upcoming dental implant procedure, we’ve compiled a top-five list of the most common questions about dental implants that we field in our office every day:
1. Can dental implants get cavities?
- Because the implant-restored crown is an artificial (not natural) material, it cannot grow cavities, phew! However, you still need to have regular gum care and cleanings around the implant site just like you would for a natural tooth.
2. Can implants slip or fall out like dentures?
No. The artificial tooth (crown) is attached to the permanent titanium post that is set in the jaw. They will not slip around or fall out like you may have experienced with dentures.
3. Can I sleep with my dental implants in?
Yes! They are practically “permanent”, unlike dentures. You do not need to remove and soak them overnight.
4. Aren’t dental implants more expensive than bridges and dentures?
It depends. If you are talking about just a few teeth, implants may be cheaper over time than bridges because they last longer. However, if you need a whole row of teeth replaced, dentures may be a less expensive option for you. Each case is unique, however, so be sure to call us for a proper consultation. We are here to help you understand your costs and benefits so that you can make an informed decision.
5. How long will my dental implants last?
If implanted and cared for properly, dental implants can last for many decades or possibly even a lifetime. Some implants have been in patients for over forty years!
Don’t see your question on our list? Contact us today for quick answers!
Comments are closed.